We encourage new CMS users to attend drop-in and build familiarity with the various WordPress platforms used at UBC Okanagan. Users are also welcome to attend drop-in for refreshers or help with a particular task on your website. You can also request 1-on-1 or group training by filling out the form linked from this page.
In-person Drop-in Training
The UBCO Web Team is working remotely and weekly in-person drop-in training sessions are unavailable until further notice.
To request a virtual training session via MS Teams or Zoom, please fill out the form below. Once we’ve received your request one of our team members will contact you to schedule a date and time.
Main Topics Covered at Drop-ins
1. Introduction to WordPress
For new users of WordPress or those that would like a basic refresher, we provide a basic overview of content management, then get you up-and-running with:
- How to log into your WordPress site
- Viewing and changing personal information
- Navigating the system
- Site hierarchy (the parent-child relationship)
- WordPress Dashboard
- Creating and adding links
- Internal links, external links, anchor links, and links to digital assets
2. The WordPress Dashboard
Together we can take a closer look at the functions of the Visual Editor (and some of its quirks).
- Formatting headings and text
- Removing unwanted spaces and lines using HTML ‘clean-up’ tools
- Page layout options
- Publishing options and statuses
3. Managing Digital Assets
The WordPress Media Library allow users to easily upload, link, and track images and documents. At drop-in we can show you how to:
- Add/upload media files
- Manage/organize your media library
- Inserting assets onto web pages